Massage therapy has generally been accepted as part of complementary and alternative medicine especially in the United States. According to a report by National Health Interview Survey, about 18 million adult Americans and 0.7 million children had used massage therapy by 2007. These numbers have been purported to continue growing. In the recent times, clinical massage therapy has gained popularity as a means of improving and maintaining health and well being. If you live in Farmers Branch, you can make use of a massage therapist to improve your health.
What is massage therapy?
Massage therapy is not a new concept in the United States medicine. Its use dates back to the Renaissance period in Europe. It was introduced in the United States in the 1850s by two Swedish physicists. Its use was popular until the 1930s when there were major breakthroughs in complementary medicine and massage popularity waned. It was to gain popularity among athletes later in the 1970s.
Massage therapy is defined as the practice of pressing rubbing and manipulating body muscles to bring about relaxation, alleviate pain and promote proper circulation of blood for general wellness. Massage therapists use hand and finger but sometimes they can also use elbows, forearms and feet. Clinical massage is more therapeutically inclined and requires more expertise. It uses massage therapy to heal injuries in addition to bringing about relaxation and relieving stress.
Modalities of massage therapy
Before you get yourself a massage therapist in Farmers Branch, it is imperative that you know what it entails. Basically, there are three modalities of massage therapy that the therapist can use to bring about wellness and relaxation. These include:
* General massage: This type of massage is relaxation oriented. It uses a basic level of pressure on the muscles to promote blood circulation and consequently relaxation. There is also the use of oils that promote wellness, a technique known as aromatherapy.
* Deep tissue massage: This type of massage is clinically oriented and useful for removing muscle knots and chronic muscle tension. Greater pressure is applied to the muscles than in other modalities in order to reach the deeper muscular layers and massage them. Care must be taken to avoid injuring the patient.
* Sports massage: This is a type of massage that is focused on treating and rehabilitating injuries gained from sports and strenuous physical activities. It alleviates pain, stains and muscle soreness enhancing better movement.
If you settle on a knowledgeable, certified and experienced massage therapist, here are some of the benefits that you can expect from your sessions:
* Relief from joint pain
* Reduction in neck and back pain
* Good recovery from sports related injuries
* Reduced muscle tensions and spasms
* Proper rehabilitation of orthopedic and surgery related injuries
* Reduction in fatigue and enhanced energy
* Stress reduction
* Improved circulation
* Enhanced flexibility and range of motion
If you have been suffering from pain, muscle tension, fatigue or anxiety, make an appointment with a massage therapist in Farmers Branch and improve your health and well being.